We chatted for about 15 minutes and discussed issues and the reasons why. Here are a couple of things that came out of it.
1. My problem about the status message not updating for over 30 minutes is noted and should be addressed in a future release;
2. The reason why it takes so long upgrade compared to any previous version - turns out that WebTrends makes a temporary backup of the existing database, then deletes everything before performing a complete new install afterwards it restores the data.
This is a high risk move which is why WebTrends stresses the need to properly back up your WebTrends before any upgrade. I'll be posting a guide to the upgrade that I've developed based on some other conversations with tech support to ensure it goes smoothly.
3. Spent 3 days working with version 8.1a - while it is taking a while to get use to the new interface and there are still some technical issues, there are some new features that do make the upgrade worthwhile. Just make sure you plan for the upgrade properly (leave lots of time).
Here are a few of my favorites new features
- Scheduled Reports - you can now specify a default SMTP server and from Address - no need to enter for each scheduled report.
- Ability to FTP scheduled reports to a repository
- Use of date macros in scheduled report naming convention (no more overwriting previously saved reports)
- Ability to right click on a graphic a copy and pasted to other applications
Here are a few things I really don't like
- Can't open profile reports in a new window or tag - so have keep closing report to view the admin module instead of toggling between them;
- Export to Excel Smart Reports is no longer listed as an export type (solution - just choose "Export to Database");
- Still no date macros available for scheduled custom compare reports
I'll expand on the above items in another post. The good news is the software is stable and performs as promised.
Post a Comment